What I Wish I Knew...



This is me: first day of PA school, no idea what was coming. My favorite professor had us complete an exercise during the end of our didactic year when we were all burnt-out. She gave us 10 minutes to write a note to our younger selves, knowing what we did at that time, and wishing we knew before starting PA school. I think reflection is powerful, so I’m sharing this with you.

 


In addition to this, I’d like to touch on some other things I wish I knew now. I wish I would have paid more attention to the racism that IS a public health issue, and that plagues our world. I wish I had known more about why Black Americans are more likely to have certain and several comorbidities, and not just accepted the fact that they do. But after spending time researching, listening, and learning about the roots of these disparities both in healthcare and society, I feel more equip to recognize my own implicit biases and advocate for my patients equally so their voice is heard.

 

I’m lucky to have had quite diverse rotations and have learned about health disparities from culturally competent providers. But I’m still growing and learning; it’s a process. As our generation infiltrates the workforce, I feel excited that so many of us are advocating to stand up for what’s right and to make real change. I’m committed to delivering the best patient care to all my future patients, and working to close the gap on health disparities. Because that’s why we went into medicine anyway, right? 


✤Courtney

Comments

Popular Posts