Have Heart

Did you know the average provider interrupts a patient after just 11 seconds of talking? Our patients are not problems to be solved, they are individuals with hearts and stories, and deserve to be shown kindness and respect. Of all the hundreds of providers I’ve come into contact with in the past year, those I admire the most are the ones who treated their patients like people, not problems.

 

Think about it. That patient you see in the hospital is probably having one of the worst days of his/her life. That patient you see in clinic might also be incredibly anxious. I, who am healthy and understand medical terminology, am still anxious to go to appointments. The more I’m the patient, the more I can put myself in my patients’ shoes. So I’ve compiled some notes over the past year of ways I’ve seen great providers carry out the best patient-care, and have dreamed up how I’ll implement that in my practice someday (soon)!

 


The first few seconds are are crucial to any patient encounter. Walking in with a big smile, warm greeting, and sitting at the patient’s level is a great way to start. A short amount of small talk is ok, but once you ask the first question, it’s imperative to listen. Since the average provider interrupts after just 11 seconds, how much can a patient explain in that time? We need to slow down and listen. Yes, our schedules are busy and hectic, but allowing a patient to talk for a few extra seconds won’t throw off our day, and might even answer the questions we were going to ask.

Unfortunately, we really are under some strict time controls, so doing anything to make the appointment more efficient is important. Practice getting comfortable combining asking questions and doing the physical exam simultaneously. Not only does this make for a better use of time, but it also can jog a patient’s memory about a certain physical symptom he/she had been feeling.

 

We also must remember to explain, explain, explain. I’ve been shocked by how little some providers explain how a medication will help or why a patient is being prescribed a medication. People don’t like to take medication. And if they don’t know why they need to take it, they might not even pick It up, all that time was wasted, and now they are frustrated they aren’t better. Explain what the medication is for, and how it will help them.

 

Lastly, find a way to show your patient you’re on their side. You can upfront say “I’m your biggest advocate, and let’s figure this out together.” I find that saying that to patients who are having trouble opening up or trusting me, goes a long way. Other ways to show this are by having a list of local resources that can help with financial, social, career, or medication insecurities. Remember the wheel of well-being? Although we can’t be the one-stop shop for our patients, having that list of local resources is a great way to let your patients know you are advocating for them. Finally, help clear up any confusion. We too often say “do you have any questions?” and then run out the door. Try something like: “how can I address any concerns?” to let patients know that we expect them to have questions. Or if it’s a complicated visit, use the teach-back method to make sure the patient understands and knows the plan going forward. One of my very favorite preceptors would write little post-its reminding patients about their next steps or how to take their medicine. This tangible item allows patients to better remember what they are supposed to do upon leaving the appointment. The patients loved it, so much so that they almost always brought their old notes back with them to the next appointment. I thought it was all-around brilliant, so I started doing it too.  

 

I hope my patients always feel I’m their biggest advocate, but it can be hard to show sometimes, and sometimes we are just too dang tired, being pulled in all directions at all times. Implementing these strategies early on has allowed me to connect with patients quickly and hopefully make this exhausting feat, a little more second-nature.


✤Courtney

Comments

Popular Posts